Our New York Fertility Center Helps Patients Overcome Unexplained Infertility
Couples that visit New York Fertility Services look to Dr. Joel Batzofin and our clinical team to provide answers for why they cannot conceive. After an initial consultation, our fertility specialists will conduct a full evaluation to determine what may be hindering pregnancy.
- In about one-third of cases, the issue is female infertility.
- The other one-third of the time, the cause is linked to male factor infertility.
- Unfortunately, unexplained infertility, or a combination of factors, is the culprit for the other one-third of patients.
What Is Unexplained Infertility?
During fertility testing, Dr. Batzofin will analyze various factors to look for common causes of infertility. In women, ovulatory dysfunction, poor egg quality, maternal age and pelvic disease can result in conception problems. Male factor infertility typically occurs because of low sperm count, varicocele, obstructions or certain illnesses. With unexplained infertility, Dr. Batzofin cannot identify an exact cause of infertility.
Dealing with the Frustration of Unexplained Infertility
When patients receive a diagnosis of unexplained infertility, they often feel discouraged. Most couples undergo a fertility evaluation to discover the reason they can’t conceive.
With unexplained infertility, it does not mean there is no problem conceiving, only that no specific issue was identified in the fertility tests.
We understand that it can feel especially frustrating to receive a diagnosis of unexplained infertility, and encourage our patients to proactively find ways to manage the stress. Our patient resources page provides links and suggestions for dealing with infertility.
Treatment Options for Unexplained Infertility
After concluding the fertility screening, Dr. Batzofin will review his findings with you. If he does not have an identifiable cause for your difficulty in getting pregnant, he may suggest the following treatment options:
- Oral fertility medications Depending on your age, medical history and length of time trying to conceive, Dr. Batzofin may begin by prescribing a medication such as Clomid to stimulate ovulation and increase the odds of pregnancy when you time intercourse to coincide with ovulation. Usually, Dr. Batzofin only recommends this therapy for three to six cycles before moving on to other options.
- Intrauterine insemination (IUI) Often, intrauterine insemination (IUI) is combined with oral fertility medications or fertility injectables. Dr. Batzofin will stimulate the ovaries and monitor your progress. At the optimal time, he will insert the sperm directly into the uterus to aid in the chances of conception.
- In-vitro fertilization (IVF) With unexplained infertility, in-vitro fertilization (IVF) may provide the highest rate of success. For an IVF cycle, Dr. Batzofin will control your cycle so that he can retrieve the eggs, fertilize them in the IVF lab and transfer the highest quality embryos back into the uterus at the optimal time to result in a successful pregnancy.
Don’t give up your hopes for a child. At New York Fertility Services, we work with patients to treat unexplained infertility and help them achieve successful pregnancies. Contact our fertility clinic today to schedule a consultation with Dr. Batzofin.