Discover how ovarian rejuvenation is giving hope to many women
Through ovarian rejuvenation, our Manhattan fertility specialist is offering women with challenges like diminished ovarian reserve and advanced maternal age the chance to conceive using their own eggs. This exciting opportunity has stemmed from our ongoing platelet rich plasma (PRP) trial.
What is PRP therapy?
PRP therapy creates the possibility of ovarian stem cells transforming into mature eggs. A team of researchers at Harvard University first saw this phenomenon in mice.
- Transforms stem cells. Stem cells, which are present in the human ovary, can morph into mature eggs with help from growth factors that are produced by platelets and white blood cells.
- Regularly and naturally produces growth factors. In many ways, ovarian rejuvenation is a natural process. Every time the body is injured, growth factors are organically created by the body to repair tissue and trigger the regrowth of connective tissue and blood vessels. For example, if someone cuts their leg, a thick yellow substance would eventually form over the cut. This protective layer is created by platelets, white blood cells, blood clotting and growth factors.
- Does NOT rely on outside influences. Those interested in ovarian rejuvenation can rest assured that this is a very safe form of regenerative medicine, as no foreign material is introduced to the body. Only the hopeful mother’s own growth factors will be used during this process.
- PRP therapy has been used for many years. This form of therapy has been used for many years for soft and connective tissue injuries, bone grafts and burns.
If you have questions about PRP, our knowledgeable Manhattan fertility specialist can provide additional information.
How ovarian rejuvenation works
Ovarian rejuvenation requires two steps, and is often utilized by menopausal or perimenopausal women, and those with diminished ovarian reserve or premature ovarian failure. Women who do not get periods can undergo this procedure at any time. Women who still have periods will ideally undergo ovarian rejuvenation during their menstrual cycle. Several steps are involved in the ovarian rejuvenation process.
- Preparation of PRP. The first step involves a blood draw. The white cells and platelets in the blood are then separated through a process called centrifugation, which involves a machine that rapidly rotates the tube of blood.
- Injection of PRP into the ovaries. After the PRP has been prepared, the hopeful mother will be placed under sedation and the ovarian rejuvenation procedure will occur by the PRP being injected into her ovaries. This process usually takes less than 30 minutes.
- Monitoring. After the procedure, monitoring will be required over a period of one to six months. This will consist of blood tests to measure AMH, FSH, LH and estradiol levels. Our Manhattan fertility specialist will hope to see an eventual rise in AMH levels, and a drop in FSH, LH and estradiol levels.
Contact us for more information about ovarian rejuvenation.