Learn more about our PRP trial, an exciting exploration into regenerative medicine
At our Manhattan fertility center, we’ve begun a PRP trial to support hopeful mothers in need of ovarian rejuvenation. Platelet rich plasma (PRP) therapy offers the hope of renewed fertility for women navigating the challenges of diminished ovarian reserve, advanced maternal age and premature menopause.
How the PRP trial can help
PRP research stemmed from a team at Harvard University who found that introducing isolated growth factor-bearing platelets into the ovaries of mice could cause the production of mature eggs. The PRP trial offers many benefits.
- Exciting potential for humans. This research indicates that if ovarian stem cells can be transformed into mature eggs in mice, a similar result could occur in human ovaries.
- A natural process. We want those interested in our PRP trial to rest assured that this is a natural process, as stem cells organically morph into whatever type of cell the human body is in need of, specifically if there is an injury. For example, when there is damage to the skin because of a burn, physician can utilize skin grafts to promote healing.
- A composition of growth factors. Growth factors are produced by platelets and white blood cells, and can cause stem cells to repair tissue and trigger the regrowth of connective tissue and blood vessels.
- No risk. Because a patient’s own PRP is used during ovarian rejuvenation, there are no foreign products being introduced to the body.
The PRP trial is a complex concept to understand, so the knowledgeable team at our Manhattan fertility center is here to provide additional information and answer any questions you may have.
The steps of ovarian rejuvenation
Ovarian rejuvenation involves several steps. It is ideal for menopausal or perimenopausal women, and those with low ovarian reserve or premature ovarian failure.
- First, the specialist at our Manhattan fertility center will obtain the hopeful mother’s PRP by separating the white cells and platelets in a tube of her blood using a centrifuge, a machine that rapidly rotates the contents of the container.
- The next step in the PRP trial involves injecting the woman’s ovaries with her PRP to promote rejuvenation. This procedure is done under anesthesia and takes less than an hour.
- Following the procedure, the woman will be intermittently monitored over a period of one to six months, as tissue rejuvenation is a gradual process. Monitoring consists of blood tests to measure her AMH, FSH, LH and estradiol levels. The fertility specialist will hope to see AMH levels rise, and FSH, LH and estradiol levels drop.
Our PRP trial is indicating that this innovative option will give many hopeful mothers the chance to conceive with their own eggs.
Contact us for more information about ovarian rejuvenation.